Michael Jackson's Trials

Michael Jackson's Trials

Text

The Ongoing Trials of The Late Michael Jackson

Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Burdens Of Celebrity

Michael Jackson feels that celebrity status has led to his present difficulties, in as much as some people seem to be determined to "get him".

In, what seems to be to me to be, a contradiction; he has decided to air his grievances on TV today, thus generating more publicity about his problems.

Jackson will appear on the Fox News Channel, talking to Geraldo Rivera. He will say:

"The bigger the star, the bigger the target...".

Adding that:

"I'm saying the fact that people come at celebrities, we're targets...".

However, because of the gag order, he does not specifically mention his trial. Instead he lambasts reports about his life:

"It's like looking at a fictitious movie. Because it's fiction. It's like watching science fiction. It's not true...".

Adding:

"I know eventually, the truth will prevail and I'm about truth," he said. "I've become immune in a way too. I have rhinoceros skin, but at the same time I'm human. So, anything can hurt like that, but I'm very strong....".

The rationale, I assume, is that this will bolster his public image. That is all well and good. However, it is the jury that will be deciding his fate; not the public.

The trouble with celebrity status, in my view, is that it is not a one way street designed purely for the benefit of the celebrity. Precisely how much money, and fame, do celebrities need before they decide enough is enough and retire gracefully?

No comments:

Post a Comment